Sunday, September 12, 2010

New Life in Singapore

It's been about 2 weeks since I arrived in Singapore. I just got my internet broadband yesterday, so I can start blogging again. After all life is not bad over here, at least for me.. I heard a lots of unpleasant things prior of leaving... i.e too strict, no freedom, cannot do this, cannot do that, cost of living very high etc....

I am not in exception, but as usual, I don't allow my judgment to be overshadowed by those remarks.... I used to think about the suffering I will have to endure  without my car, about have to get up early in the morning, about having to start over to build my network again and all those sort of "What If" questions which popping out of my mind most of the time.

It was not easy for me to make this decision, but as usual, I prayed. Thanks God, after about 2 weeks over here, everything seems to be alright.... work wise, well, ppl seems to be able to accept me even not all of them. You know, some people are mentally unstable, how good or friendly you trying to be, they just ignore you or pretend like you does not exist. But, that's just a small matter. Most important thing now is to find my footing.

Living cost? I would say it's cheaper compare to Malaysia if we compare dollar to dollar. In KL my average 1 day meal expenses like Breakfast -RM 2.5 (canteen food), Lunch - RM5-8(Including drinks) and dinner easily about RM6-8. So 1 day meals can reach up to RM16 - 18/day. But in Singapore, my breakfast is only $0.8 (Free tea and coffee).... my lunch and dinner hardly exceed $5 respectively (normal hawker shop).. so all in all its about $8-10.

What abt other things? I would say general items here are relatively cheaper. (Based on my experience) Energizer battery (2pcs) is $1.6 compare to RM 4, my favorite choclate is $4.5 compare to RM 8.3, KFC snake plate is $6.7 compare to RM9, shower cream is $4 compare to RM7 etc... There are lots more items which I found cheaper here..... Beer? believe me its only around $2.3/can (tiger  n carls)... Even with this price, they claimed it still expensive.

The only thing that I found quite expensive here is the accommodation. I am renting a common room at $700/mth for couple. Earlier I thought it was reasonable, anyhow many of  friends of mine told me otherwise. So, I am waiting until everything is stable first before making the next move. Some more, the environment is quite comfortable here. So will decide later on whether wana move out or not.

Transportation is very convenient and systematic. I thought I will feel isolated without my car ready at hand, but no... there are ample access to buses and trains as well. You can go almost everywhere as the transportation is well connected. You only need to know which bus to take. For MRT, its quite straight forward.

Lastly, I am getting my internet broadband at $27/month for 2.0Mbps speed. Do you know how much we have to pay for half of the speed in Malaysia? Its about 100 plusss.... The highest speed available here is 7.2 Mbps with monthly subscription of $41....cheap and affordable right?

-----THE END-----



2 comments:

earthy emily said...

I see. You're working there now. All the best, rayner.

Lett said...

thanks emily.... all the best to you too