Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Selfishness.

In Singapore, train is the main transportation other than bus and taxi. Anyhow due to the high-dense population, it is very rare to find an empty seat inside the train unless you board at the first station. It happened to me yesterday, after done my work out in Chevron House I was thinking about how to get a seat since it takes about 45 minutes for me to reach my destination. I just feel too tired and I don't think I want to stand along the way.

So, I decided to go to the last station, which is just one station away so I can grab my seat first. I am so relieved when everybody alighted at the last station. There were so many seats to be chosen and I was thinking which seat to be taken. Usually the first seat which is nearer to the exit/entrance is reserved for the needy (the elderly, pregnant women, adults with kids etc). I was thinking that if I choose those seats, I will have to give them up to these  peoples when they come in. 

So, I chose the middle one which is further from the exit/entrance because for what so ever reason, I don't want to give up my seat. Anyhow, It is still a norm for the people here to give their seat if the reserved one is fully occupied, especially to the elderly. Due to this, I closed my eyes and listen to my music because I don't want to see anyone who potentially needs the seat and have the guilt of not giving my seat to them.

As expected, the train is really packed along the way but I got to sit for the whole journey. Am I being selfish here? :).... I believed so. I feel bad.... and to make myself feel better I came up with my own reasoning;

" Everyone is well aware of the situation here and should expect the least to get any seat while boarding the train"

I believe everybody can understand why they have to stand in the train and it requires some extra effort to get a seat... as an example, go the the first station and the journey is all yours. :) hehehe

-----THE END-----

4 comments:

Wel^Beiolman said...

it's not selfish ba tu rayner...its more like having and taking care of ur own rights...if you want to give up ur seat..well please but if u don't want to..totally up to u..just bear with what people may have to say abt u..hehe..

Claire said...

hehe..ada ngam jg cakapan si welster...ada jg masa2 dia mau paksa pun nda dapat jg mo ber baik hati tu raynee..hehe semua org ada masa dia terbuat gitu jg...ok lagi kau ada perasaan guilty lagi so at least kau nda la sekejam mana..hahaha

Lett said...

Well:
Hehe.... sebab tu lah sia tutup telinga pakai earphone.... anyho


Clarice:
Yup, betul tuh.. especially kalau kita sendiri pun panat and sakit kaki mau bediri

Nancy said...

selfish labaitu..whatever reason u have its still consider as selfish..hahah..pigi confession lorr..